Marketing Communication Specialist
Strategic Market Alliance (SMA) has a strong reputation for excellence and innovation within our industry. Our organization is a cooperative comprised of more than sixty of North America’s top independent distributors of commercial cleaning and foodservice packaging products.
We are lean, agile and resourceful, and we deliver high-value services to our manufacturing suppliers, to our member distributors, and to our mutual consuming customers. SMA is a great company! And we need a great Marketing Communication Specialist to get that message out to the world.
As a Marketing Communication Specialist, you will be responsible for research and communication activities in support of SMA’s overall Marketing and Brand Development efforts. The work of this job ranges deep into areas as diverse as inbound / social media marketing, category and supplier development campaign
execution, product and event promotion, conference and events planning and execution, and brand propagation and deployment. On a typical day, you’ll find yourself with rolled up sleeves in collaboration with both large global manufacturing firms found in the top echelons of the Fortune 500, and with small
family businesses that employ fewer than 50 people. This job is hands-on, and we need a person to OWN it, someone that will take on the challenge and opportunity of it with verve and zest! We need your brain and your gut from Day 1 to properly design and execute communication and promotional aspects of a
broad range of the company’s marketing calendar activities, including planning and execution of SMA conferences, expos and events, administration of the company’s social media platform, creating and repurposing content, writing announcements, invitations, award citations, and myriad other forms of communication
, even occasionally scripting and filming instructional / informational videos. The work done by SMA’s Marketing Communication Specialist matters: it helps our Suppliers, Members and Customers grow and thrive, and as such is relied upon and valued by those constituencies. Serving in this role at SMA, you will
experience an endless range of business scenarios, each progressively equipping you for greater on-going success and command of your field.
Sound challenging? You bet; SMA works hard and we pride ourselves on getting more done with less than anybody else like us in our industry. But the rewards from delivering value of the type we give, to the people and organizations we serve, far surpass the degree of difficulty of any given challenge
. If you are eager for a role that does interesting, varied work that contributes meaningfully, within a company that does interesting, varied work that contributes in meaningful ways, read further and apply … we want to hear from you!
Industry Segment and Category Development
- Planning and creation of workflows to support Marketing Communication and Promotional campaigns conducted on behalf of SMA suppliers, executed within HubSpot (supported by other tools including Survey Monkey, CVent, and Constant Contact).
- Routine & recurring analysis of SMA internal reporting, industry and popular information sources for awareness of emerging trends, regulatory changes, consumer preferences and competitive activities
- Findings assembled and published to SMA Sr. Leaders, Staff, Member-Owners and Suppliers.
- Active monitoring and analysis of published industry content (print, social, collateral, etc.) to identify and assess potential new and / or substitute
Qualified Supplier Promotion
- Ad / Article copy writing in support of Integrated Marketing projects, newsletter pieces and ad hoc communication
- Execution, collection, analysis and reporting of ad hoc surveys (germane to this area, as well as others)
- Support of SMA Navigator Recognition program throughout the year with monitoring and periodic reporting
Marketing to End-User Strategic Customers
- Identification of target opportunities and appropriate contacts for end-user promotional efforts
- Development of message content and delivery campaigns; Writing, distribution, response monitoring and reporting
Brand Propagation and Deployment
- Marketing communication: ad copy writing, basic graphic development (concepts and ideas), assist the Director in designing communication campaigns and contests followed by day-to-day administration of same.
- Social Media campaign administration and content development
- Production support of the monthly group newsletter, SMART News
- Instructional / Tutorial video creation, both in-house with iPhone, and with outsourced professional support
- Support of the registration, assignment and logistical aspects of SMA conferences and events.
Essential Skill Sets
- Self-starting and highly motivated and organized. Strong work ethic, high level of commitment to the job and team, and get-it-done attitude.
- Possessing sound logical and analytical reasoning skills. Creative and resourceful, within a disciplined framework.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Able to write persuasively. Adept at proofreading, with a high attention to detail for audits and correction of draft printed and graphic material.
- Confident presenter – able to occasionally give instructional-type briefings to senior leadership, sales teams, member groups and other constituents around the business.
- Strong team-player ethic with consistently demonstrated respect for the objectives, motivations and feelings of working colleagues.
- Cool under pressure – consistently thinking ahead with contingency plans at the ready, reacts to crisis with a solution orientation and aplomb.
- Ability to understand and translate the Company’s strategic goals into department-level action.
- Bachelor's Degree in relevant field; Marketing, Communications, Liberal Arts, Journalism or Business Administration.
Work Experience Requirements
- 5 to 7 years of experience in marketing, category management, or sales / sales administration disciplines. Experience in Distribution a plus, but not required.
- Experienced in operation of HubSpot marketing automation application is required. HubSpot Inbound, Marketing Software and Sales Software certifications a plus.
- Familiarity or demonstrated ability to quickly learn CVent event management application is a strong plus for this role.
- Demonstrated ability and affinity-for business communication, including ad copy, executive summaries, effective e-mail correspondence, instructional guidance, and writing to compel action.
- Knowledge of Social Media / Inbound marketing techniques and strategies, including management of advertising campaigns on social platforms, acquiring and deploying end-user mailing lists for campaign use, creating effective promotional campaign workflows, CRM integration and lead management.
- Strong competency with MS Office suite, Constant Contact, Survey Monkey, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter, Linked In, Facebook.
- 3 to 5 out-of-town events lasting 5 to 7 days occur annually. Occasional travel to SMA member and supplier locations for meetings. Estimated total travel commitment is 10 - 20%.